Backend Software Engineer - Hiring Globally
Remote · United States
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2021
Empower is a high-growth financial technology company on a mission to expand access to fair credit to give anyone in the world the opportunity to improve their financial security and mobility. We dream up and launch one-of-a-kind features that help our members get money instantly whenever they need it, save for the future, and rewrite their financial story. Our members see Empower Cash Advance as a life-saver, Empower Automatic Savings as a game-changer, and the new Empower Thrive line of credit (currently in beta, launching soon) as a lifeline to low-cost borrowing and the only practical path to building good credit.
Empower is backed by Sequoia Capital, Blisce, and Icon Ventures. Inc. ranked Empower #55 in the 2022 Inc. 5000 list of the fastest-growing private companies in the US. Fast Company recognized Empower Thrive in their 2022 list of the Next Big Things in Tech.
Want to make a difference in someone’s journey to better credit? Let’s go.
WHAT EMPOWER OFFERS
Generous equity package
Full healthcare and dental benefits
Technology expense reimbursement
Work from anywhere
As a Backend Server Software Engineer, you’ll work on the engine that powers the Empower apps and business. You’ll engage with a collaborative, high powered team to develop solutions and lead product engineering on projects with a reach of millions. The solutions you’ll build will be robust, secure and easy to understand both for our users and your engineering peers. You’ll take end to end ownership of new features and product lines shaping work in early stages, building, deploying and running post deployment analysis to ensure we’re hitting our goals.
- Designing, building, and deploying server application code that interfaces with 3rd party clients and Empower
- Implementing secure coding standards in accordance with the Empower Secure Development Policy
- Perform on-going security testing and code review to improve software security
- Monitoring the performance of the Empower server application and applying corrective action through bug fixing and improved solutions
- Minimising defects and improving reliability through: Development of automated tests, manual test validation, development of fit for purpose architecture and code, contributing to PRs
- Developing and maintaining the server app build and deployment pipeline
- Collaborating cross-functionally to define, design and ship new features that create customer and business value
- Working with business and operations stakeholders for the definition and development of business requirements
- Contributing to server/client contract API definition
- Architecting solutions that interface into 3rd parties and the Empower mobile client
- Maximising effective development and identifying new technology opportunities by: Keeping across .NET development announcements, being across community best practice, discovering and evaluating new technologies
- Participating in the server ops on call schedule
- Bachelor degree or greater within Computer Science, Software Engineering or a related subject
- 3+ years developing web APIs within .NET (C#)
- Working experience with ORMs such as Entity Framework
- Working experience constructing and optimising RDMS queries
- Working experience within the asynchronous programming model
At Empower, we hire for people that push themselves to understand others and seek out ways to challenge their personal assumptions. Our hope is that by fostering such an environment, we strengthen our business and relationships by putting people first. We are committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workspace where everyone (regardless of age, education, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or any personal characteristics) feels like they belong. Even if your experience doesn’t exactly match up to our job description, you should feel empowered to apply regardless!
See more open positions at Empower
Something looks off?