Principal Process Development Scientist, Chip and Surface Chemistry
San Carlos, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2023
At Nautilus, we have a big and important mission: improve the health of millions by unleashing the potential of the proteome to accelerate drug development and enable a new world of precision and personalized medicine. We are developing a single-molecule protein analysis platform of unprecedented sensitivity, scale, and ease of use that we believe will democratize access to the proteome – one of the most dynamic and valuable sources of biological insight. To accomplish this, we are pursuing deep, hard science with an entrepreneurial mindset and creating a world-class team of builders, innovators, and dreamers across a wide range of disciplines.
We are looking to hire an experienced Scientist/Engineer to improve the manufacturability and reliability of flowcell and surface chemistry components of our platform. This individual will have a broad surface science and process development background and be able to apply these skills in diverse areas such as assay development for surface characterization, metrology, data analysis, integration, etc.
This position will report to the Director of Flowcell and Surface Chemistry, and is located in San Carlos, CA.
- Partner with lead scientists and engineers within the team to develop and validate processes related to nanofabrication, surface chemistry and flowcell assembly.
- Develop methods, both analytical and functional, to characterize and measure effectiveness of chip patterning, surface chemistry processes, and flowcell assembly processes.
- Validate processes and analytical QC methods related to CVD, plasma etch, spin coating, wet bench, bonding, etc and ensure they are robust and ready for manufacturing transfer.
- Implement statistical process control to harden control limits and spec limits.
- Convert SOPs provided by R&D into formats more appropriate for manufacturing.
- Transfer processes and QC methods to manufacturing (internal and/or external).
- Work effectively with both in-house engineers, production technicians and outsourced equipment/chemical suppliers to identify shortcomings, propose and evaluate modifications to mitigate issues.
- Drive process improvement activities aimed at achieving higher yield, lower COGS and improved manufacturability.
- Develop scale-up methods including selection of appropriate equipment.
- Drive root-cause analysis of failures and implement permanent corrective actions.
- PhD and 8+ years of industrial experience, or BS and 14+ years of industrial experience.
- Degree in Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Analytical Chemistry, Surface Science, Polymer Chemistry, or related scientific and engineering disciplines, preferred.
- Prior experience supporting a commercial product line with a critical surface chemistry component is essential.
- 7-10 years of industry experience preferably dealing with complex product integration and release in development, low and high-volume environments.
- Familiarity with strategies and methods for device qualification, functional testing, and failure analysis in low and high-volume environments
- Working knowledge of surface characterization techniques such as ellipsometry, XPS, AFM, fluorescence microscopy, etc.
- A basic knowledge of molecular biology and biochemistry is desirable.
- Excellent presentation, verbal, and written communication skills.
Nautilus Team Culture
- We are curious go-getters: this is a team of life-long learners who aren’t afraid to tackle the big challenges and we embrace the journey.
- We are detail oriented: we do great science by working smart & with diligence where we learn from our trials and mistakes.
- We are easy to work with: we want our workplace to be one where everyone can share their perspective and be treated with respect and kindness.
See more open positions at Nautilus Biotechnology
Something looks off?