Vice President of Bioinformatics
San Diego, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2023
At Nautilus, we have a big and important mission: Improve the health of millions by unleashing the potential of the proteome to accelerate drug development and enable a new world of precision and personalized medicine. We are developing a single-molecule protein analysis platform of unprecedented sensitivity, scale, and ease of use that we believe will democratize access to the proteome – one of the most dynamic and valuable sources of biological insight. To accomplish this, we are pursuing hard scientific problems with an entrepreneurial mindset and creating a world-class team of builders, innovators, and dreamers across a wide range of disciplines.
We are looking for a Vice President of Bioinformatics to join our growing company. Being successful in our goal of delivering novel proteomic insights to the world hinges on our ability to analyze and understand large, complex, and diverse data sets that result from our experimental efforts, surfacing any key insights that might be hidden within. A person stepping into this high-level role will provide both technical and people leadership for diverse bioinformatics teams, contribute their voice to the ongoing conversation around data analysis and platform development at Nautilus, and be responsible for the design and implementation of data processing solutions that provide actionable conclusions to our scientists. The VP of Bioinformatics develops and provides clear strategic vision, direction and involves the teams in strategy development in ways that generate enthusiasm, ownership, and commitment. Some of the teams that this role will be directly leading are focused on supporting the discovery and characterization of our affinity reagents, the ongoing optimization of the Nautilus platform, and its current & future application to novel, impactful use-cases. Our novel proteomic technology is still in its formative stages, which means that anyone in this role will be able to have a meaningful, outsized impact on our technology and on the company’s path to future success.
This position reports to the CSO of Nautilus and can be located in San Carlos, CA, Seattle, WA or San Diego, CA. This position requires you to be onsite at least 3 days a week.
- You will lead, manage, mentor, and grow several teams of bioinformaticists across a wide range of experience levels, areas of expertise, and scopes of responsibility.
- You will be a motivational leader that can provide thoughtful feedback to build a strong team culture and ensure the highest levels of performance.
- Develop and execute bioinformatics strategies and provides input to executive leadership.
- Influences policy making and strategy based on communication strategies and persuasion skills.
- Partners with executive leadership team for the function to provide cohesive direction towards company goals.
- Anticipates factors that could influence strategies and company position in the market.
- Develop novel bioinformatics analytic strategies.
- Develop high throughput pipelines and workflows to support both internal research and development efforts and external customer facing data analyses.
- Facilitate the development of the Nautilus Platform by creating tools to extract maximal value from emerging data from our novel platform.
- You will work cross-functionally with representatives of many other disciplines –such as software engineering, biology, and biochemistry – to set your teams’ direction, strategy, and priorities.
- Keep up to date with the latest bioinformatics tools and technologies and recommend the adoption of new tools and methods as appropriate.
- Establish and maintain partnerships with academic and industry leaders in bioinformatics to ensure the company's bioinformatics capabilities remain competitive.
- Oversee the development of software tools and databases to support bioinformatics analysis.
- As a member of our leadership team, you will be expected to contribute to corporate strategy & initiatives, be a positive cultural role model, and be one of Nautilus’s ambassadors to the world!
- Ph.D. or equivalent degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, or a related field.
- At least 10+ years of Director/Sr. Director leadership experience in bioinformatics or computational biology, with demonstrated success in leading bioinformatics teams in the biotech or life sciences industry.
- Extensive experience in the analysis of diverse data sets, including genomics, proteomics, and metabolomics data.
- Extensive experience with developing bioinformatics tools using rigorous, version-controlled software best practices.
- A proven track record of leading many bioinformatics teams to success on very complex projects that bring together a wide variety of disciplines and skill sets.
- You know how to create and nurture highly performing bioinformatics teams through a combination of coaching, hiring, performance reviews, technical mentorship, and other management techniques.
- Fluent in a wide variety of statistical analysis skills, data processing and visualization approaches, programming languages (Python and C++) and environments, biological experimental techniques, and the ability to quickly acquire expertise in new topics on the fly.
- You are a creative thinker who can develop new foundational approaches for extracting value from entirely novel data sets and generating actionable conclusions from imperfect data (e.g., missing values, batch effects, highly skewed distributions, outliers, etc.)
- Have strong organization, communication, problem solving, and project management skills, and a willingness to jump in to help wherever it is needed.
- Proven track record of being recognized as an influential leader with the ability to motivate, inspire and guide others towards success.
- You have fun when building complex systems that solve large, novel problems while working side-by-side with experts from a variety of disciplines.
- It is essential, as a leader, to create and maintain a diverse environment that fosters inclusivity, promotes equity, and values different perspectives, experiences, and backgrounds. A diverse workforce not only promotes innovation and creativity but also drives organizational growth, productivity, and success.
- Novel platform or instrument development strongly preferred.
- Experience in software development is a plus.
- Startup company experience is a plus!
Nautilus Team Culture
- We are curious go-getters: this is a team of life-long learners who aren’t afraid to tackle the big challenges while continuously pushing ourselves forward
- We are detail oriented: we do great science by working smart and with diligence, and by learning from our mistakes
- We are easy to work with: we want our workplace to be one where everyone can share their perspective and be treated with respect and kindness
See more open positions at Nautilus Biotechnology
Something looks off?