Staff Software Engineer, Image Processing
San Diego, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2023
At Nautilus, we have a big and important mission: improve the health of millions by unleashing the potential of the proteome to accelerate drug development and enable a new world of precision and personalized medicine. We are developing a single-molecule protein analysis platform of unprecedented sensitivity, scale, and ease of use that we believe will democratize access to the proteome – one of the most dynamic and valuable sources of biological insight. To accomplish this, we are pursuing hard scientific problems with an entrepreneurial mindset and creating a world-class team of builders, innovators, and dreamers across a wide range of disciplines.
We are hiring for a Staff Software Engineer, Image Processing to join our growing team. As an early-stage company developing its core technologies this role is necessarily multi-faceted, including both hands-on software development and technical leadership. Our vision of a world in which proteomic results are democratized hinges on our ability to create an ultra-fast, ultra-sensitive image processing system to reliably detect and classify fluorescent molecules in images produced by our automated microscopy system in real time. We are looking for a talented software engineer who will use their expertise in classical & machine learning image processing techniques to direct and contribute to many of the constituent projects on this team. You will also collaborate closely with our biosciences and bioinformatics teams in order to define technical solutions to the accuracy, performance, and other image analysis problems they face. We'd love to have your help with these novel challenges and, ultimately, with our mission to revolutionize proteomics as we know it. Your technical contributions will have a notable impact on our team and the company’s path to the future.
This position will report to the Director of Software Engineering and is located in either San Carlos, CA, San Diego, CA, or Seattle, WA. A minimum of three days in office, preferred.
- Be responsible for the design, implementation, deployment, and refinement of many of the algorithms and modules comprising our image processing workflows
- Research, prototype, and test the accuracy & performance characteristics of a variety of new image processing algorithms
- Work closely and cross-functionally with representatives of other disciplines, including Bioinformatics, Biology, and Engineering, so as to understand how the image processing domain intersects with their work and to define and deliver tools that best support their efforts
- Collaborate with other software engineers to develop, deploy, and support the production implementation of our image processing and classification pipeline
- Mentor other software engineers, both within the image processing team and outside it
- A minimum of 7+ years of relevant experience in a high performing software engineering organization(s) is required
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or similar related field is required
- Have a proven track record of leading projects to successfully deliver solutions to computer vision or image processing business challenges on-time and with high quality
- Have a solid grasp of computer science fundamentals and an eagerness to tackle challenging, unique problems
- Are skilled in Python, C++, and standard libraries or packages used for computer vision
- Have strong organization and communication skills, with the ability to effectively collaborate with people working in other disciplines
- Have fun when building complex systems while working side-by-side with experts from a variety of engineering and scientific disciplines
- Previous work within the biotechnology industry is a plus
Nautilus Team Culture
- We are curious go-getters: this is a team of life-long learners who aren’t afraid to tackle the big challenges while continuously pushing ourselves forward
- We are detail oriented: we do great science by working smart and with diligence, and by learning from our mistakes
- We are easy to work with: we want our workplace to be one where everyone can share their perspective and be treated with respect and kindness
See more open positions at Nautilus Biotechnology
Something looks off?