Staff Scientist, Reagent Development
San Carlos, CA, USA
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2023
At Nautilus, we have a big and important mission: improve the health of millions by unleashing the potential of the proteome to accelerate drug development and enable a new world of precision and personalized medicine. We are developing a single-molecule protein analysis platform of unprecedented sensitivity, scale, and ease of use that we believe will democratize access to the proteome – one of the most dynamic and valuable sources of biological insight. To accomplish this, we are pursuing deep, hard science with an entrepreneurial mindset and creating a world-class team of builders, innovators, and dreamers across a wide range of disciplines.
The Reagent & Metrology Development group plays a key role at Nautilus, integral to the successful development of our reagent kits. As a Staff Scientist, Reagent Development, you will function as the bridge between the Development and Manufacturing organizations, devise/implement/optimize high quality, scalable reagent production methods meeting manufacturing readiness and ensuring product performance specifications.
- Participate in a team of technically strong, high-performing, process-minded individuals to develop and validate scalable reagent purification, manufacturing processes and performance metrics to ensure the production of high-quality kit reagents.
- Explore and implement new separation methods and high-throughput automation technologies.
- Identify failure modes, sources of variation, optimal methods, and balance performance vs. cost.
- Drive root cause and permanent corrective actions to resolve quality issues as they arise.
- Work cross-functionally to support small scale reagent lot builds for internal testing purposes, implement test plans, design/pilot robust production methods and facilitate transition to internal/external manufacturing teams.
- Author SOPs, assist development of verification/validation methods and support implementation of statistical process control.
- PhD in Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Protein Science, Pharmaceutical Science, or related scientific discipline with at least 4+ years’ relevant industry experience
- Demonstrated history of domain technical leadership, familiarity with industry standard product development processes and successful product commercialization in a Life Sciences company.
- Detailed knowledge of protein, nucleic acid handling and nanoparticle handling, manipulation, biochemistry, purification and characterization.
- Experience with liquid chromatography techniques (SEC, IEX, HIC, Affinity, etc.), membrane filtration techniques (centrifugal, TFF, HF-TFF, etc.) and bioconjugation techniques (chemical, enzymatic, etc.) is required
- An ability to plan and conduct scientific experiments and effectively analyze, interpret, and present experimental results.
- Detail-oriented with strong analytical and troubleshooting abilities.
- Statistical skills for process development (DoE, QbD, etc.).
- Excellent communication skills, as well as proven organizational and time-management skills.
Nautilus Team Culture
- We are curious go-getters: this is a team of life-long learners who aren’t afraid to tackle the big challenges and we embrace the journey.
- We are detail oriented: we do great science by working smart & with diligence where we learn from our trials and mistakes.
- We are easy to work with: we want our workplace to be one where everyone can share their perspective and be treated with respect and kindness.
See more open positions at Nautilus Biotechnology
Something looks off?